Sunday 26 January 2014

The Morning After The Burns Night Before Marmalade

       Crowdie-time!


I got two very exciting communications about jam this week; the first being this article by Will Self in the New Statesman: 

In defence of jam, that gooey ambrosia  (via Chris Sav),

and the second being an email from my jam jar supplier, announcing "IT'S MARMALADE SEASON"

So, I headed to Sainsburys, picked up some oranges that were on offer, and then stopped by my local corner shop to get the best bottle of whisky I could buy for under £10. I settled on Teachers, which provides a convenient hand-held bottle for £5.99.

Why not try this recipe to mark the morning after Burns Night, and remember that wonderful night of poetry, Scotland and Haggis.

Recipe:

5 oranges (3 finely sliced, 2 with peel removed and roughly chopped
3.5 cap-fulls of whisky
Equal weight of sugar (to oranges)
Juice of 1 small lemon


Method

Combine all the ingredients on a low heat until sugar is dissolved
Boil mixture on high heat for about 40 mins
Allow to cool slightly
Steralise two jam jars and fill them with the marmalade

Enjoy!




No comments :

Post a Comment